Announcements‎ > ‎

Vermont NRCS Focuses EQIP Funds on Most Impaired Watersheds

posted Dec 10, 2014, 12:17 PM by Lyn Munno
December 9, 2014 - As announced by Secretary Vilsack on August 28, the Lake Champlain Basin will benefit from $45 million dollars of conservation funding through the Environmental Quality Incentives Programs (better known as EQIP) over the next 5 years. In 2015, NRCS will be implementing over $8 million dollars in conservation practices. 60% of the money available this year will be used in the most heavily impaired watersheds, including: the Missisquoi Bay, the St. Albans Bay, and the South Lake. The remaining 40% will be made available for projects in other areas of the Lake Champlain watershed.

In all areas, agronomic practices that reduce soil and phosphorus losses will be prioritized for funding, followed by improvements to manure storage and handling on farmsteads. Manure Injection has been included again as a practice eligible for funding in Vermont. In addition farmers in the Lake Champlain Basin will be allowed an option to receive 5 years of payments (typically only 3 years) for specific agronomic practices, including: Cover Crops, Nutrient Management, Conservation Crop Rotation, Prescribed Grazing, Feed Management, and Residue Management. 

Producers who are interested in funding to support conservation improvements on their farm are encouraged to contact their local NRCS office

Information based on release from Vicky Drew, State Conservationist, USDA NRCS, 356 Mountain View Drive, Suite 105, Colchester, VT 05446, (802)951-6796, Ext. 242
Comments